Sunday, September 14, 2014

Faithful Servant


“A faithful servant may be wiser than the master, and yet retain the true spirit and posture of the servant. The humble man looks upon every, the feeblest and unworthiest, child of God, and honors him and prefers him in honor as the son of a King.”
Andrew Murray, Humility

Lapu- Lapu is the first Filipino Hero. The hero from Mactan was a great man- a man of service, commitment and courage. These virtues inspired the founders of the 11th Infantry Battalion to name the unit after him. His words “I bow before no king, I owe allegiance only to my people” stuck in the heart and mind of every 11th IB Trooper and has become the guiding light of every son of Lapu- lapu. Hence, I consider my assignment with the 11th IB a great opportunity and privilege. Indeed I felt honored to be working alongside spirited and peace-loving officers and men who will guide me as I start my life of service geared towards serving the AFP and the Filipino people.

On July 1, 2012, I was assigned to Charlie Company stationed in Brgy. Carabalan, Himamaylan City. The officers and men of the company call themselves as KATAPAT Troopers. Later, I found out that KATAPAT stands for Kawal na may Tunay at Tapat na Adhikain para sa Taumbayan (Soldiers of Noble Cause in Service to the People). As the most junior among the three officers of the company, I was designated as a Platoon Leader.

The first week of my stay in the unit was my adjustment period during which I had the chance to meet and interact with my fellow soldiers. I also thought of my new role and looked forward to what I can contribute to the company’s mission. After a few weeks of orientation, I finally had the chance to experience my first security operation in the field. Our Executive Officer was tasked by our company commander to be my mentor. Both of them have been my constant guide in developing my leadership and relationship with the soldiers and stakeholders. After several more field operations with Lieutenant Poquiz, I was allowed to personally lead my own platoon. I was eventually assigned a more delicate and difficult task- the Company Bayanihan Team Officer. Bayanihan Teams replaced the previous Peace and Development Teams of the Philippine Army.

At first, I had doubts and apprehensions if I would be able to perform well the duties and responsibilities assigned to me as BT Officer. However, with the guidance of my senior officers and senior enlisted men, I was able to immediately grasp and fully adapt to the operational environment and cope with the challenges of the tasks. To be a BT Officer requires passion, commitment and sincerity in serving the people. We served as catalysts and facilitators in bridging the gap between the government and less fortunate people in the communities that we visited.

We interacted with many farm workers, laborers or peasants, lessees or share tenants, men, women and children- people who consider themselves as less- privileged and beyond the reach of government services. As soldiers, our activities were focused on promoting the welfare of the community in order for the government to regain the trust and confidence of the people. We hoped that in doing so, we would be able to open a wide gate and pave the way for a just and long lasting peace.

Our efforts were sometimes met with skepticism by the people. During our visits in far- flung sitios to conduct consultations and dialogues, many people expressed their doubts about the government’s programs. We listened to their plights despite their lack of sympathy and trust to the government. These experiences challenged me to give my best and exert more effort in order to know and understand their grievances, and regain their trust and confidence. The only word that kept me going was “SERVICE”. The only way to link- up or connect with the people is through sincere, selfless and passionate service.  I kept in mind that our battalion, our unit, and the man behind its name, Lapu- Lapu, epitomized the true essence of service to the people.

I do admit that before I entered and volunteered to join the profession of arms as an infantry man, big questions lingered in my mind. Is there an end to insurgency? Is there an answer to this problem that has created a wide gap between the government and the people and divided the country for decades? Can the forty- three year old plague be quelled? Can there ever be peace and understanding?

Yes…maybe...but how?

For me, it is through the delivery of true service to the people. As public servants, it is only by giving our best, or even beyond, that can make people feel and understand our sincerity to help them out of their dire conditions. And what about our stakeholders? Convergence is the key. Only through our united efforts can we forge a just and long lasting peace.

To my fellow servants of the people, let us ponder on a few things and ask ourselves. Am I a true servant of the people? Have I delivered true service to my constituents? Am I happy serving the people? Do I value my service more than the compensation that I am receiving? Do I give my services to those who need it most? Do I value equality among the people I serve?

The answer solely rests on us! Let us strive to become better public servants every day. And then our country shall reap the rewards.





 Written by 2Lt R. Gumiran, PMA '12, for the "Ang Kalis", 2012-2013 issue.