Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The Innovation Sandbox

When I was kid, I used to play with sandboxes I made myself. They are cheap, easy to build and there is no limit to the size I can create as long I had enough sand (or plain soil), and plywood/ wooden slab to serve as walls so that sand or soil will not spill over. There was also no limit as to what I can do WITHIN the box so I can go as far as my imagination can bring me.

The Innovation Sandbox is built around this idea. We can build our own Innovation Sandbox with its own creative area (the sand) and boundaries (the wood)- the walls that surround them. Inside the creative area, we can pour out all ideas to create any world we want. We can add or reduce the sand and introduce other elements or materials depending on our resources to suit our concept and design. However, the sand does not easily take shape because of its powdery and non-cohesive nature hence we need to be patient and skilled in making it to the desired form. The walls or bars on the other hand limit us from going beyond our innovation space. They are constant reminders that, in everything we do, we are always bound by a few tough constraints and limitations. Through time, these walls are taken down or scaled as we aim for a bigger and wider innovation space.