Friday, September 12, 2014

Dear Ruth Carmela Zamielle

19 June 2011

Dear Ruth Carmela Zamielle, 

I am Jim. I am a soldier. And I am your Daddy. You don’t know me yet but we will be meeting soon. I have been waiting for you to come out of your cocoon. Your Mommy said you are getting heavy every day. Last night, she said that you’re already 7.4 pounds. You are a big cute baby and we cannot wait to see you. Everyone in the family- our family, is excited to see you. I am sure that you will be as beautiful as your Mommy (probably more beautiful because you have Daddy’s genes too). This early, they are already saying that you got my features. You are probably a carbon copy of your daddy. But do not worry because your daddy has got good looks too…not to mention oozing appeal (according to Lily). That’s probably the reason why your mommy fell in love with me- head over heels. Your Mamita- your elegant grandmother, says that you look like an angel. I said YOU ARE INDEED AN ANGEL. You are God’s greatest gift to us and we are all looking forward to seeing you see the beauty of this world.

Your mommy has been really excited to have you. She worked hard to conceive you. She religiously prayed the novena in Baclaran Church (a place you will see soon), and sought the advice of the best doctors for you. Nobody can match the preparations she has made for your coming. She had to visit so many shops and stores just to get the best clothes for you. They are really cute and you’ll love them. Your Mom and I have been talking endlessly about your coming. I hope you hear us talking about our great plans for you. Your mom said you’ll go to a big school and she wants Poveda. I wanted you to go to the UP IS (it’s a good school) but she  insisted on Poveda (I don’t even know there’s a school with that name). I rested my case. By now you should know that she can really get stubborn but I love her for that. Soon you will also see how cute she could get when she gets mad at me (and you). What Mommy wants, Mommy gets. I guess it will be replaced with ‘what ruthie wants, ruthie gets’. You like it, don’t you?

Your Mamita calls you CHABILITA- the name of a cute and lovable girl in a TV soap opera. Your Lolo Tirso said you are RUTHIE. Mommy calls you MOJACKO (ask her why). Lolo Sam and Lola Malyn said you are ZAMIELLE. You are RCZ for me- my baby girl. Our angel. Our precious gem. Don’t be confused with the names though. We have different ways of showing our love for you.

I will be there when you finally open your tiny eyes and take your first breath. I will record the first sound that will come out of your mouth. Mommy said she will document your ‘footprints and handprints’ too. I want to see your first smile, first kick, first pooh, first step and all the firsts in your life. I am already trying to learn how to change diapers too so I could do it myself- for you.

You’re Mom and I have beautiful dreams for you. We will work hard to make those dreams come true for you. We will do whatever it takes to make the world a beautiful place to live in for you. I do not know yet what you would like to be once you become an adult. We want you to be able to choose for yourself and pursue whatever dreams you will have. We will make sure that you will be prepared to face the world. We will guide you on your first step. It will not be easy to stand on your own but Mom and I will be there to help you. We will always stand beside you to catch you when you fall and help you get up on your toes. Life may be a little difficult but we will be there to make it easy. You are our treasure and will protect you.

I know that you will grow up to be a lovable, humble and most of all God- fearing person. We will teach you all good values. We will guide you to the right path and you will have our hands to hold on along the way. I can’t wait to bring you to the beach and dip your feet in the water. I will bring you to the park and watch you play with other kids. I might buy you popcorn and hot cake but Mom would probably scold us. We will not buy you so many toys but we will surround you with books and pets. BUHAWI- our Dalmatian is already waiting for you to walk with her. You will have plenty of Dogs and Mamita might get you a beautiful bird. I hope you will grow up loving dogs like me and your Mom.

Your Mom said you’ll have piano lessons and probably violin and guitar too. I agree with her. You will grow up a well- rounded and confident girl. I will teach you in Math but Mommy will teach you social graces. I will try to always accompany you at school- IN MY UNIFORM, so that boys will be scared. Mommy will get you plenty of bags and clothes (and jewelry too). We will go biking, hiking and swimming and I will teach you to shoot with my guns (I won’t teach Mommy though.). We will tour the Philippines but Mommy and Mamita will bring you abroad. Your Lolo might even build a swimming pool for you. We will always go home to Bicol (that’s my hometown) and we will play with your cousins.

I can’t elaborate more of our plans for you, our baby. But rest assured, we will be the best parents to you. We will be your best friends, your buddies and your companions as you pursue your own destiny.

Ruth Carmela Zamielle, we will be waiting for you. God has heard our prayers. She sent you to us. You will be an angel among us. I love you very much.

Love, 
Daddy