Friday, September 12, 2014

On Leadership


 


 “I start with the premise that the function of leadership
is to produce more leaders, not more followers.”
-Ralph Nader

According to various scholars on leadership, Leadership goes beyond management. Management involves getting things done using the resources of the organization, and the formal patterns and rules within the organization. Leadership, on the other hand, sometimes involves driving through changes and new initiatives, which may be unpopular in some quarters. It is possible to identify a range of approaches to leading change in an organization, depending on the use of authority by the leader, and the amount of freedom given to subordinates.
As a leader, there are some important traits or characters that I would like to subscribe to if and when I become a commander. I believe that these traits would help me in establishing, developing and maintaining a good, healthy and productive relationship with my staff.

a. Staying calm- It is important to be calm during critical situations. As a combat officer, I have personally experienced the importance of being calm during critical periods. A calm leader evokes confidence as compared to a panicky one. A calm leader leads confidently and can give clear, concise and accurate instructions to the members of his team or group. If a leader is calm during critical situations, his subordinates become confident thereby ensuring success of the mission. Many leaders break down during challenging situations especially when lives are at stake. Some leaders cannot make sound decisions or become indecisive when confronted when placed in dangerous situations. During extra- ordinary times, it is usually the wisdom born out of experience that enables the leader to make sound decisions.

b. Being visible- Being visible to my TEAMates or to the members of the team is a good way of making them feel that I am a part of the team and that I share the difficulties or hardships that they face. In the military and in any organization, it is very important to set the example first before expecting the members of the team to do what you want them to do. Visibility will allow me to have a good interaction with the team thereby allowing me to ‘teach them’, ‘show them’ and ‘let them’ do what I would like them to do- based on our mission. It will allow me to gain insights about the team, about the mission and about the people working with and for me. Sometimes, people tend to keep their ideas to themselves unless they feel confident to share it with their leader or unless they are sure that the leader deserves to know what their thoughts are. By being visible to the team, I will get the chance to show I care for them as much as care for the entire team. It will give me more opportunity to communicate my intent more clearly and simply thereby ensuring better understanding and better results.
c. Putting the people before business- One of the first questions that a new officer of the AFP is asked is this: What is more important to you, mission accomplishment or morale and welfare of your men? Again as a combat officer, we need to strike a balance between the two if we want to develop and maintain a healthy unit or team. A leader or commander who places more emphasis on the morale and welfare of his men is bound to fail in whatever task or mission given to him. More often than not, he tries to please his men rather than go for the accomplishment of the unit’s mission. On the other hand, a leader who is bent on accomplishing the unit’s mission at all cost is bound to lose the respect of his men and eventually the leadership of the team. If morale and welfare is sacrificed, he would be leading a team of disgruntled men (or women) which could be more dangerous than productive. Hence, as a leader I should strive hard how to achieve and maintain a good balance between the two.

On a more personal note, as a commander, I will ensure uniform understanding of my intent. I will not live a room for second- guessing but I will endeavor to avoid micro-managing the staff in their tasks. I will be prudent with criticism but I will be generous with praises. I will encourage and support their personal and professional advancement as I continue to coach and mentor them. I will not deny them the opportunity to mature, learn, be proud of and love the service.

A staff and his commander

The staff officer’s duty is to assist the commander in accomplishing the mission. He relieves the commander of routine and detailed work and raises to the commander those things that only the commander can act on.

As I have espoused earlier, a staff works and serves under the presumption that his commander has trust and confidence in him. We serve at the pleasure of our commanders (or bosses). A staff has to think like his commander hence he should have the competence, confidence, initiative and flexibility expected of him. Moreover, he should be a team player, an effective manager and effective communicator. An officer who possesses these qualities will surely make the life of his commander a lot easier, more productive and noteworthy. Hence, as a staff I will strive to:

a. Know my commander inside and out. I should know his strengths and weaknesses? What is his leadership style? How does he look at his role as a commander? What are the things, situations or conditions that he views as threats, challenges and opportunities? What is his vision for the unit? What are his expectations from us, from the unit and from his soldiers? What are the things he values or what are the values he believes in? This will allow me and the rest of the staff to adjust to the commander and complement him and his efforts.

b. I will seek to abide with the following tenets:

1. Keep the commander informed. As a staff, I should have the courage and competence to tell him both the good news and the bad news. He must always be on top of the situation and appear and feel that he is in control of the entire unit. Never must he feel being left out or deprived of what he ought to know.

2. The commander is always right. As a staff, I should be aware of my footing at all times. Never should I forget that the commander is the standard bearer of the unit. He alone is responsible for what the unit does or fails to do. Never will I contest his decisions especially in front of others especially once he has made up his mind.

3. Respect for elders and superiors. A staff should never forget that over and above the position and rank of his commander, he is also person (most probably) older than he is. Thus he must conduct himself properly and be courteous at all times. I will observe appropriate protocols and avoid excessive familiarization or fraternizing with him. I will respect his family and the values that he stands for.

Additionally, as a staff, I will see to it that no mediocre output from my section will reach his table. I will strive to go beyond his expectations by going the extra mile in every task. I will not shun accepting challenges and I will not shy away from additional tasks or responsibilities. I will not take credit for the accomplishments of men under me but I will take responsibility for whatever my section does or fails to do.